Monday 10 November 2014

SPECIAL: CGHS Bike Relay 8/9 November

According to the organisers around eighty riders registered for this year's CGHS Relay.
The route for the two days was pretty much as it had been for the last two years except for a small detour on the Sunday.
The first day was always going to be the most challenging and not just because of the length. The forecast temperature of 35 degrees seemed hours away as we headed off from Sale just after eight.
I usually get a lift to Maffra with some stronger riders but they appeared to be on a go slow as it took them around 17 km to catch me. I only rode with them for a short distance before handing over to my buddy. By the time the main group was out past Fernbank the northwesterly and the temperature had kicked in. By Bairnsdale the temperature was in the mid thirties. After lunch I am sure everyone was suffering to some extent. After a run on the rail trail my co-rider was spent. I continued on to the Bluff but this forced my retirement. Had we been able to continue we would have been late for dinner as some stronger teams found. The temperature though at Lake Tyers was much more pleasant as we all enjoyed the evening meal together.
Day two was always forecast to be the better for riding. The run to Nowa Nowa and up to the Knob was great stuff. Spirits were running high for the next leg to Bruthen. The final run to lunch over the lumpy ground would have been keenly fought over.
After lunch the southeasterly had developed providing a cooling crosswind for the run home along the Bengworden Road. As I had found in the past the other riders seemed to be on another route for this leg. We felt we had the road to ourselves. Back at the hospital a well received afternoon tea capped off a great weekend.
Many thanks to the Mowat and Pickering teams for their efforts organising a top event.
This group caught me
Linden near Boisdale
Team Darrell round Boisdale corner
Later I caught this group
Ready to depart Day 2
Ann alone on Bengworden Road

No comments:

Post a Comment